Review of The Secret of the India Orchid by Nancy Campbell Allen


Hello Readers,

I first discovered the Proper Romance series of books on Modern Mrs Darcy (I linked the post where she talks about how readers were telling her to read Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson for years). I read Edenbrooke in one day. It was a book that came to me at exactly the right time. I had just had a baby and was mourning the days I had spent reading all day long. I was able to read Edenbrooke while nursing and while sitting on the floor with my baby while he kicked at his toys. (FYI I have a giveaway going on my Instagram account giving away this very book right now. Pop over there to enter your name for the giveaway) I have a read and loved several other titles in the Proper Romance series and when I found out there was a new book coming out in the series I really wanted to get a copy.

The lovely folks at Shadow Mountain Publishing generously sent me a copy of The Secret of the India Orchid by Nancy Campbell Allen. This is a completely honest review of the review copy that Shadow Mountain sent me.

The Secret of the India Orchid is about Sophia Elliot who has recently risen from a ladies maid to Miss Sophia Elliot due to her brother inheriting a title. The transition from ladies maid to a lady gave her a different perspective on life that is extremely appealing to the allusive Anthony Blake whom she is one hundred percent in love with. Anthony up and leaves one day by sending her a letter which basically dashed any of her hopes that her love might be returned by him. After mourning the loss of Anthony Blake Sophia decides it’s time for an adventure and sails to India. She meets some adventurous friends and discovers that the man she came to escape and move on from is impossibly in India also. Lots of rumors have been flying as to what Anthony has been doing since he left London. Sophia must figure out what is real and what is reality. While she is figuring out what her heart is feeling there are events surrounding her such as the mystery of a missing sea caption, a possible murder, and a plot that could involve the prince of India.

This book was such a pallet cleanser for me in between more intense books. Sophia was a bit dramatic at times for me, but I feel like that might just be true of women during that time period. I enjoyed reading about the friends she meets during her stay in India. My favorite character being Rachael Scarsdale. I must admit though that the reason I enjoyed this character so much is because the author chose to spell her name just like mine which is a very rare occurrence. The story alternates between Sophia and Anthony perspective. It’s fun to get into the minds of both characters. I also appreciate the Anthony flat out gets annoyed with Sophia at times but still loves her. 

The thing I really appreciate about the Proper Romance line of books is that they can be recommended to your friend, your mom, or your Grandma. The books don’t have any questionable content and are fun easy books to read with a sweet love story in between the pages. 

Rating: 3/5 Stars

Happy Reading,
Rachael

Comments

Popular Posts